Cornell Revokes Recognition of Chi Psi Fraternity

By ANUSHKA MEHROTRA

Cornell has revoked its recognition of the Chi Psi fraternity for a minimum of three years due to reports of hazing incidents that occurred during the spring semester, the University announced Friday.

The decision was made after the fraternity was placed on interim suspension in March and provisional recognition in June 2013 — both for allegations of “serious” physical and psychological hazing — according to the University.

Some hazing incidents that led to the Chi Psi’s June 2013 probationary status were potentially dangerous to members, according to the University. Chi Psi was put on interim suspension earlier this semester after reports of additional threats posed to the safety of fraternity members and guests, the University said.

Chi Psi is the fifth fraternity to be disbanded within the last two academic years and the second — after the Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity — to be disbanded for incidents involving hazing. Tau Epsilon Phi had its recognition revoked January 2013 following a “sexually humiliating” hazing incident, according to the University.

In March 2014, Chi Psi held an Anti-Hazing Symposium, which required attendance from two new members and one new member educator. The symposium took place just four days prior to the fraternity’s interim suspension.

The president of the Chi Psi Fraternity’s and members of the Interfraternity Council declined to comment Friday afternoon.