FIELD HOCKEY | The Red Looks to Fill in Gaps Left by Seniors

BY LISA AWAITEY

The Cornell Field Hockey team is back and gearing up for another season. Last year marked the graduation of several key players, but the Red still hopes for a strong campaign as it pushes for the Ivy League title and a spot in the NCAA tournament. Cornell’s success depends on its returning powerhouse upperclassmen and the new fresh talent joining the team.

Junior Marisa Siergiej, 2013 NFHCA Mideast Region All-American and First-Team All-Ivy, led the Red in goals scored, game-winning goals and total points last year and is expected to be a constant force this season. Siergiej played every minute and will continue to be the focal point of the team’s defense, ranking fourth in the conference in goals allowed.

“For the team to be successful this year, we must have communication throughout the field,” Siergiej said. “With the strength of the returners and the talent of the incoming freshmen, we hope to win the Ivy League this season.”

Joining Siergiej in the back are returners, senior Katherine Stone and junior Stephanie Eggertson. Both Stone and Eggertson saw significant minutes last season, and will contribute greatly to the Red defense through experience and drive.

Monique Hall / Sun Staff PhotographerCornell’s field hockey team looks forward to the upcoming season and hopes to have the underclassmen step up to fill the spots of graduated seniors on the field.