‘The Fonz’ to Address Cornellians This Month

By ANNIE BUI

Henry Winkler — an actor best known for his portrayal of Arthur Fonzarelli on the American television sitcom Happy Days — will speak at Cornell Sept. 17, Cornell Hillel announced Thursday.

Winkler rose to fame with his role on the long-running sitcom, Happy Days, which ran from 1974 to 1984. He won two consecutive Golden Globe Awards for Best Actor in a Comedy Series during the show’s run.

A graduate of the Yale School of Drama, Winkler has also appeared in shows such as NBC’s Parks and Recreation and Up All Night, as well as Netflix’s highly-acclaimed Arrested Development as defense lawyer Barry Zuckerkorn.

Rachel Minton ’15, executive vice president of Cornell Hillel, said one reason the organization decided to bring Winkler to Cornell was due to his “long-lasting” and “extremely diverse” presence in the world of entertainment.

“He is an icon to many for his humor, and especially his talent,” she said. “As a veteran of the entertainment world, Hillel feels he has a lot to offer us ambitious Cornell students, who can relate to Winkler either through his direct profession or through the many roles he has assumed over the years.”

Minton — who is also chair of the Hillel Major Speaker Series Committee — said she hoped Winkler will impart on the audience what role Judaism plays in his both his personal life and career.

“We can’t wait to hear what values and lessons he learned and abides by in his daily life as a comic and an actor,” she said. “We hope that the audience will learn, laugh and enjoy Winkler’s time on the hill.”

The event will be free and more details — including the location and time — are to follow, according to Minton.