Catherine Street Project to Await City Approval

By JONATHAN DAWSON

A new housing project at 114 Catherine St. could join the first few residential housing developments to be built under Ithaca’s new zoning laws — passed by the Common Council in March — if the city’s Planning and Development Board approves the proposal.

The plan for the three-story building includes three apartments and a total of 17 bedrooms, which will be built on what is currently a five-car parking lot, according to Nick Lambrou, the developer of the project.

“Each apartment will have large windows, [air conditioner] units, two refrigerators and washer and dryer for laundry in each unit,” Lambrou said.

According to Lambrou, the apartments will be ready for fall 2015, if construction starts by February or March at the latest.

“I felt it was the right time to do it after I saw these other larger projects, one on Eddy Street, one on Dryden Road and one on College Avenue get approved,” he said. “I feel that if I wait another year, labor costs [for new construction] will be too high to be able to offer these nice new units at Catherine at reasonable rents.”

A rendering shows the planned housing development to be built at 114 Catherine St. The space is currently occupied by a five-car parking lot.