WOMEN’S SOCCER | Red to Take On Penn at Home

By JOEL COOPER

The women’s soccer team is looking to even its Ivy League record this weekend when it hosts Penn on Friday. With the season off to a great start after five victories from six games, Cornell had a tough weekend last week losing both games by just one goal. After a 1-0 loss to Columbia in the Ivy League, the Red fell against Wagner College, 2-1. However, the team is looking to bounce back and try to break Penn’s impressive 15-game winning streak over Cornell.

Despite the scoreboard, the Red produced good moments in both encounters last weekend, building on the possession game that has been a focus in recent training sessions. However, according to sophomore defender Kailey Joyce, Columbia had a physical edge that proved to be the difference.

“We started off really well and we connected a lot of passes, which is what we had not done so well in the past,” Joyce said. “We did not make the most of our possession game, and they came out just more physical. I think we need to be more aggressive, they went harder to balls.”

The Red hopes to learn from last week’s mistakes and aims to work on blending its possession game with a bit more aggression in practice, while also trying to produces more goal scoring opportunities, which limited them against Columbia.

Jason Ben Nathan / Sun ContributorJunior forward Caroline Growney has had strong performances on the field this season, scoring three goals and notching four assists.