FIELD HOCKEY | Red Drops Third Straight In Weekend Ivy Contest

By LISA AWAITEY

The Cornell field hockey team lost its third straight game on Saturday, falling to Harvard in a tight match. The 2-1 loss takes Cornell to 8-4 in regular play, and 3-1 in the Ivy League. Cornell is tied with Dartmouth and Princeton for first place in the conference.

With two first half goals, Harvard forged ahead and managed to fight off the Cornell offense. Junior back Marisa Siergiej and freshmen Isabel Josephs and Krysten Mayers all had shots on the day. A strike from Siergiej, off of a penalty corner taken by junior Taylor Standiford, in the 51st minute made it past the Harvard goalie and into the net.

“Our second half against Harvard was a much stronger performance than the first because we were able to remove their options down the middle,” said senior assistant captain senior Ann DiPastina. “[W]e lacked cohesion in our play during the first half and that really hurt us.”

Siergiej now has 11 goals for the season, a career high for the junior back. She is No. 8 in Cornell history for career goals, with a total of 26 scored. Standiford also tallied her ninth assist of the season.

The Red led Harvard in shots taken, 10-8, and penalties, 7-1. Freshman Kelly Johnson made four saves on the day, tying the Harvard goalie.

Junior back Siergiej earned her 11th goal of the season in the Harvard game, making her No. 8 in Cornell history for career goals. (Michelle Feldman / Sun Senior Editor).