EDITORIAL: Increase in Graduates Who Stay in Ithaca Is Positive for Community

The Economic Impact Report released by the Office of Budget and Planning earlier this month revealed that the number of Cornell graduates staying in Ithaca and surrounding areas after graduation has nearly doubled since 2007. We at The Sun believe that this is a positive trend as it results in the further development of the University and the surrounding community.

The report states that more Cornell graduates are choosing to remain in Tompkins County to either start careers or to further their education. In 2013, 1,135 graduates stayed in Tompkins County, representing 17 percent of the graduating class. This is positive for the University because these educated young people stay in the community and help it develop further. Cornell’s status as a world class university is maintained by what the alumni do after graduation. The fact that alumni are staying at Cornell or in the surrounding area will help the University reach greater heights.

Cornell is a land grant institution and the fact that graduates want to stay helps fulfill the ideals on which the University was formed. This certainly is beneficial for the community as educated people stay and contribute back to the society they have been a part of. Initiatives like Rev: Ithaca Startup Works, which opened in September near the Ithaca Commons, and Cornell Tech are examples of how both the Ithaca community and Cornell are attracting graduates. These initiatives help with both the economic and intellectual development of the region.

We at The Sun commend the University’s efforts to attract graduates and look forward to more such initiatives. We believe that this positive trend will result in the development of both the University and the surrounding areas.