ROWING | Red Dominates at Princeton Chase

By TUCKER MAGGIO-HUCEK

All three Cornell rowing programs took to Lake Carnegie this past weekend to compete in the Princeton Chase, a three-mile race in Princeton, New Jersey. The men’s lightweight eight and the women’s varsity four boat dominated the competition and finished in first place.

For the lightweight team, the Princeton Chase is valuable in allowing the Red to compare its boat’s speed against the competition, according to senior captain Chris Rogers.

“The Princeton Chase is an unique opportunity for us to get an immediate read on team speed against the rest of the league just eight weeks into our season,” he said.

Using this race as a benchmark, the varsity eight boat put up some solid numbers on Lake Carnegie.  In the men’s varsity lightweight eights race, the Red put up a time that beat out second place finisher Yale by nearly five seconds. Other Ivy League boats trailed far behind that time, with Harvard finishing in third place and Princeton in fourth. The Tigers finished the race over 10 seconds after the Red. Also taking part in the varsity lightweight eights race was the Cornell B boat, which finished third amongst the B boats and the Cornell C boat that finished second amongst its respective competitors.

Rogers said that he is excited to see such high levels of teamwork so early in the season.

The Red saw great success at the Princeton Chase this past weekend. The women’s four and the men’s lightweight eight both came in first place at the regatta. (Xiaoyue Guo / Sun Staff Photogapher)