We’re glad you’re interested in becoming a Sun columnist! It’s the most awesome job on campus. Please read the following information to learn how to get involved. Send all questions, comments and concerns to email@example.com.
The Way It Works
Columnists write bi-weekly columns (once every other week) on a set day, ranging from about 650-800 words. We aim for the Opinion section to represent a broad spectrum of viewpoints and support strong, defined and unique voices. As such, columnists must be able to argue distinct and/or uncommon perspectives on a range of issues and events. As a Sun columnist, you should have something to say and know how to say it. We strive to make the section as quirky, diverse and irresistible as possible.
In addition to regular columnists, The Sun features Guest Room columns from various members of the community on a piece-by-piece basis. Guest Room columns provide the opportunity for people to contribute with fresh and unheard perspectives on pertinent issues in campus, local, national or global news. If you do not become a full time columnist, you can still write Guest Rooms. In fact, many of our columnists began as contributors.
How to Apply
Send the completed application below along with a current resume as document attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “COLUMNIST APPLICATION” as the subject and body of the email.
Presently a Sunnie? If so, in which department:
What specific column or type of column are you interested in writing?
Please submit at least one (1) previously unpublished sample column (650-800 words). If you become a Sun columnist, these submissions may later be used as columns.
Additionally, please write a maximum of 500 words on one of the following statements:
- Cornell University’s Introduction to American History course should teach students that John F. Kennedy was the best president of the 20th century.
- Regardless of circumstance, Cornell University must expel all students caught for plagiarizing.
- The iPhone is the greatest human invention of all time.
- “True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.” – Vonnegut '44
- All Cornellians must be required to take a 1-credit course on personal finance.
- The City of Ithaca should make an effort to bring the bars back to Collegetown.
- In effort to make Cornell more sustainable, the University should ban all disposable plastic water bottles.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are far superior to The Power Rangers.
- The Greek System is a zit on the face of the University.
- By the end of our lifetime, women will dominate all sectors of the American workforce.
- Climate change is the biggest threat to the world as we know it.
- Respond to this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/04/american-girls-arent-radical-anymore/275199/
- Social media is the best (or worst) thing to happen to the news industry.
- The U.S. should make Spanish a second national language.
- In the arts, restraint is more important than virtuosity.
Good luck! We look forward to reading your application.