Kimball Hall was closed Friday morning due to a “very minor” chemical spill of mercury, according to Claudia Wheatley, deputy University spokesperson.
“It looks like something terrible happened, but it’s a small amount of mercury,” Wheatley said. “They operate under, ‘better safe than sorry.’”
Wheatley compared the chemical spill to a scene in the movie Monster’s Inc., when one of the characters “comes out of the room with a sock on his back” and is treated as if he had been contaminated with a deadly virus.
“That’s kind of how it was,” Wheatley said of the spill. “It was nothing.”