Search for Cagers' Coach Continues

Since the resignation of Scott Thompson this past summer due to cancer treatment, the Cornell athletic department has been searching for a new head coach for the men’s basketball team.

Associate athletic director Bob Chaddock is in charge of the quest for a coach, and hopes to have the position filled by Tuesday, September 5.

In a statement to the Sun, Chaddock stated that the post needs to be filled by “a coach that will represent Cornell well and work effectively in our academic and athletic environment. Communications ability, human relations ability, recruiting ability, technical competence, and personal integrity are critical considerations.”

Chaddock was unwilling to give out names of all the coaches in the search with the exception of Ray Jones, who had served as an assistant under Thompson since July of 1996. Chaddock did state that “in the last few weeks [the athletic department has] talked to a wide array of college basketball contacts and have taken a good hard look at the national marketplace.”

Jones had no comment on the search or its possible effects on the up coming season.

Chaddock also stated that “various sources, including the team” are giving feedback on the different candidates for the position.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton