Preparing to Sell Out Schoellkopf

Saturday, September 23, will mark one of the most exciting days in Cornell athletics in years.

That day will be homecoming on East Hill, and a possible early season showdown between the Red and Yale, the preseason picks for the Ivy League champions. However, on this particular Saturday, the fans in Schoellkopf Stadium will be experiencing more than a quality football game.

They will be part of history.

The athletic department is billing the day as the “Schoellkopf Sellout,” and is hoping to sell all 25,597 seats.

“It will be the biggest ever gathering for a Cornell athletic event in nearly half of a century,” Pete Fitzpatrick ’94, general manager of Cornell sports marketing, said.

The last time the Red crossed the 25,000 in attendance in football was the 1955 campaign against Princeton.

Presently, about 12,000 tickets are accounted for between those sold to alumni, students, locals and guests of the university.

“We are looking to the get the largest number of students ever for an athletic event,” Fitzpatrick said.

He added that no more than roughly 5,000 students have attended a football game in the past 12 years, but the university is planning on between 6,000 and 8,000 students at the contest.

In addition to the expected student turnout, the day will also mark the largest gathering of Cornell football players, past and present, in history. Fitzpatrick said he is planning on between 300 and 500 players marching around the track surrounding the field.

The Schoellkopf Sellout will also include the largest tailgate effort on homecoming. This will also include a “Kidzone” which will provide entertainment for children of alumni during the game, and may give students a few thrills before the day is over.

“I’m sure the students are going to love it,” Fitzpatrick said.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton