A Classic Fall

Today is one of the biggest days of the year for a fan of Cornell Athletics, for one simple reason: it all starts today.

Yes, today is the grand kick-off to the Red’s 2000-2001 athletic season.

Today is the start of all the cheers, all the close contests, all the game-breaking plays, all the excitment of college sports.

But not only am I ready for the season to begin so I can watch the games, I’m ready to see contests which are decided by players not worried about endorsement deals, signing bonuses and contract re-negotations.

Tonight, when the men’s socccer team lines up against Boston University at 5 p.m. on Berman Field, I can watch what I truly love about sports. I can watch athletes line up and play for no other reason than the personal satisfaction of competing against others and playing a game well.

And of course, there is the social fun of going to an event with your friends to watch somebody you know play. Watching someone who lived in my dorm a couple of years ago, or a friend I met in Psych 101 make a great play on the field always brings a smile to my lips.

But most of all, I, like everybody else, enjoys watching my team win. And that is perhaps why I am most excited about today.

The men’s soccer team has a very good shot at winning the Ivy title. Returning the likes of Richard Stimpson, Adam Skumawitz and Adam Brown, the booters are sure to make some noise in the league.

The women’s team could also be a contender if it manages to stay healthy for the first time in four years. The loss of senior Sophia Smith for three weeks to possibly the entire season will be a challenge to overcome.

But senior co-captain Sarah Natches and junior co-captain Julie DeMichele can steady the squad on the field in her absence.

I’m anxious to see if the volleyball team can climb up the league standings as it hopes to do. And will the field hockey team finally pick up some wins in those close contests with the top schools?

Perhaps the most interesting team to follow this year will be women’s cross country. Though the team graduated all-world Emily Germano ’00, it returns a stong core of runners including senior co-captains Kim Chatman and Meredith Friemer, and junior Halle Watson.

All summer long I’ve been waiting for today. I’m ready.

Are you?

Archived article by J.V. Anderton