Volleyball Starts Season at Stetson

The women’s volleyball team is traveling to Florida this weekend, but it isn’t for the nicer weather. With temperatures in the upper 80s and rain forecast for the entire weekend, Orlando does not seem quite as appealing as the cool conditions of our beloved campus.

The Big Red is traveling to Orlando for the Stetson Invitational.

With four games in two days this weekend, the Red will get to see if its preseason conditioning has paid off. This summer, every returning player remained in Ithaca to improve several aspects of her game. With most of June and July spent working on strength and conditioning, the women were able to devote the past two weeks to brushing up on their skills and team play.

While in Orlando, the women will battle the Stetson Hatters, the Wofford Lady Terriers, the Georgia Southern Eagles, and the Duquesne Dukes. Cornell successfully played Duquesne in 1989, but has not met it on the court since. Wofford, Georgia Southern, and Stetson, all Southern schools, will meet Cornell for the first time this weekend.

The Dukes posted a 10-22 record last year. The team is carrying one senior this year, but it has an even split of upper and under classmen on its roster.

With six returning players, no seniors and four juniors, the Eagles are an inexperienced squad. Its 4-26 record last year can only be improved upon, but without senior leadership, the Eagles are in for a difficult season.

Similarly, the Lady Terriers are also headed down a tough road. Coming off a dismal 6-25 record

last year, the Terriers have 12 rostered players, and 11 of them are underclassmen. The team is lead by junior outside hitter Christy Carter, who is recovering from last season shoulder problems.

The Hatters posted a 10-14 mark last season and bring more experience to the court with 10 upperclassmen. The team is lead by 6’1″ senior middle blocker Miki Ford, who last year tied the school record for hitting percentage.

While this tournament will not feature Ivy-quality teams, the Red will use these matches to get back into the season and prepare for its own tournament, held on September 15-16.

The Cornell Invitational will feature San Diego State, Northeastern, and Kent State. Cornell will battle these teams in Newman Arena.

Archived article by Katherine Granish