Derby Days Raises Funds

Across campus, Sigma Chi brothers alongside sisters from all 13 sororities helped raise funds for the Ithaca Rape Crisis Center and Cayuga Heights Fire Department during their week long Derby Days, held annually each September.

“Whether it was blowpops, t-shirts or publicizing, everyone was involved in someway or another,” said Sigma Chi president, Scott Fava ’01.

Derby Days is an national fundraiser supported by Sigma Chi houses across the nation, Fava said.

One of the more important events during the course of semester, brothers are able to better the community and contribute to local charities from the funds collected during the course of the week, according to Fava.

“Derby Dudes” Shawn King ’02 and Eric Calaman ’02 were both responsible for organizing and coordinating the week’s events which included an afterparty at Republica in Collegetown.

With over fifty brothers, Sigma Chi has been contributing Derby Days funds to Ithaca Rape Crisis Center and The Cayuga Heights Department for the past three years. Funds have been used towards women’s programs as well as volunteer fire equipment.

“Helping local charities really lets us better the community here,” said Patrick Solan ’03, who also participated in Derby Days.

In addition, all 13 sororities helped in the fundraising festivities of the week. Fraternities also made donations in support of the event.

“It’s for an important cause,” said Melissa Sarno ’02, sister at Alpha Omicron Pi. “We definitely kick the year off on a great note helping local charities.”

“People really have fun and get fired up because this is their opportunity to show how much they care,” Fava added.

Archived article by Tanvi Chheda