Field Hockey Tames the Raiders

Led by a powerful group of underclassmen, the Big Red (2-2 overall, 1-0 Ivy) shut Colgate (1-7) down last night by a score of 4-0.

Cornell proved to be too much for its struggling opponent as it outshot the Red Raiders 22-8. The Big Red has seen some great talent from its younger players this season, but this match really proved that the Red’s youth is a definite asset.

Two aggressive freshmen started the scoring streak in the first half of the match. Freshman midfielder Lindsay Grace shot the first goal of the game at the 10:29 mark. This unassisted goal was the first of Grace’s collegiate career.

Nearing the end of the first half, freshman midfielder Karleigh Burns found the back of the net on a solo run for her first collegiate goal, putting the Red up 2-0.

Sophomore forward Anna Starkey converted two penalty corners in the latter half of the game to increase the Cornell’s lead to 4-0. Her first goal came off of assists by sophomore back Sarah Nordstrom and junior forward Ashleigh Snelson. At the 63:29 mark, Starkey converted her second penalty corner with the help of senior co-captain Amy Galebach and freshman forward Carissa Mirasol.

Recently named Air Force ROTC Cornell Athlete of the Week, Starkey’s offensive leadership has provided the Big Red with a powerful and dependable scoring weapon.

Sarah Nordstrom was marked up against Colgate’s toughest forward and she was very successful in eliminating her from the offense as the Red Raiders went scoreless in the match, allowed only eight shots at the net.

Senior goalkeeper Maureen Sullivan had a great defensive game. With her first shutout of the season, Sullivan had six saves on the night. This is an important win for Cornell, as it now must face Penn at home this weekend.

Last week’s overtime win against Columbia along with last night’s shutout will provide momentum and confidence to lead the Red into the upcoming match against another tough Ivy League opponent.

Archived article by Kelli Larsen