W. Tennis Travels to Pennsylvania

The Cornell women’s tennis team will be cut drastically when it opens up competition today in the Cissie Leary Invitation at Penn.

Unlike the SUnity Life Classic two weeks ago all of the squad’s 11 players were allotted playing time, head coach Angela Rudert can only enter four of her players at the Cissie competition.

Traveling to West Philadelphia will be Alex and Daniela DelPrete, Piper Lucas, and Camila Romulo.

All four will compete in both the singles and doubles; the DelPretes will form one of the doubles entries, while Lucas and Romulo will pair up for the other one.

“It’s one of the top invitationals in the East,” said team member Ngozi Amobi. “It’s a really tough tourney.”

Clubs expected at the event include Colgate, Penn State, as well as all of the Ivy League squads.

In the SUnity tournament, Daniela DelPrete and Lucas lost in the semifinals of their respective singles’ flights; Romulo fell in her the first round of the first singles’ flight; and Alex DelPrete earned runner-up honors in Flight 5 of the singles’ competition.

In doubles, the DelPretes lost in the semifinals of Flight 2. And Lucas teamed up with sophomore Nicole Chiu to win Flight 3.

“I think we’re going to do well,” Ngozi said. “We have a much deeper team than last year.”

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj