Men's Tennis Wins Two Flights of Fall Invite

The Cornell men’s tennis opened up the new season in typically emphatic style over the weekend, dominating two of the four singles flights at the Cornell Invitational, hosted at the Reis Tennis Center.

Incoming freshmen Aravinda Neuman and Scott Paltowitz displayed a level of maturity well beyond their years to claim the class C and D titles respectively.

Neuman vanquished teammate junior Pat Hagan 7-5 6-2, while Paltowitz ousted junior tri-captain Russ Gimblestob 6-3 6-0, in what ended up being a one-sided affair. Both rookies only dropped one set en route to their respective titles.

Coach Barry Schoonmaker was pleased with the result, and is hopeful that the team will improve further during the campaign.

“The freshman had some good wins over the weekend. The team seems capable of accomplishing much more over the course of the season,” enthused Schoonmaker.

In doubles action, the Red sent two teams to the B flight semi-finals. Neuman teamed with classmate Julian Cheng, only to be beaten at the penultimate hurdle, while junior Carl Thorsen and sophomore Vincent Todaro suffered a similar fate as their teammates.

Schoonmaker also believes that the absence of his two most experienced players, senior Mike Halperin and junior Stefan Paulovic played a part in Cornell’s loss.

“I think that the loss of Mike [Halperin] and Stefan [Paulovic] played a small part in our loss this weekend. However, I think that the team showed great resolve to perform the way that they did,” said Schoonmaker.

Halperin and Paulovic weren’t being rested however. The dual-pronged spearhead of the team represented the Red at the T. Rowe National Intercollegiate Clay Court Championships in Pikesville, MD. Although the talented duo played some sound tennis, they were unable to progress through a field of nationally-ranked athletes. Despite high expectations, both players were knocked out in the first round of the tournament.

“It’s a shame that they didn’t win. They played some excellent tennis and the results didn’t do them the justice that they deserved,” remarked Schoonmaker.

Men’s tennis prepares for October’s ECAC championships by traveling to New Haven, Conn. next weekend for the Yale Invitational.

Archived article by Kris Rajan