Men's Tennis at Yale

After the exciting Cornell Invitational last weekend, where two freshman won singles titles, the Cornell men’s tennis team is back in action in New Haven, Conn., for the Yale Invitational.

Freshmen Scott Paltowitz and Aravinda Neuman both won their respective singles flights last weekend, upsetting top-seeded opponents. Paltowitz defeated Cornell’s own senior tri-captain Russel Gimelstob in straight sets (6-3, 6-0) in the finals to win the D flight, and Neuman also defeated a fellow Cornellian, junior Pat Hagan, in straight sets (7-5, 6-2) on his way to winning the C flight singles.

Earlier this month, Cornell sent two of its stars, Paulovic and Halperin, to the first leg of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Grand Slam. Halperin, ranked 98th in the nation, fell in the first round of singles to Harsh Mankad of Minnesota (6-2, 6-3), and the Paulovic-Halperin tandem also fell in the first round of the doubles competition in a tight match against Tulane (7-6 (4), 7-6 (3)).

Mike Halperin, last year’s Ivy Player of the Year, usually leads the Cornell netters into battle, but will not be making the trip to New Haven this weekend. “We have some of our best guys sitting this weekend, primarily because of the Jewish holidays and the upcoming ECAC tournament,” Halperin, a senior tri-captain, said. Seniors Greg Artzt and Stephan Paulovic will be playing A flight singles instead of Halperin.

“The team is very strong. Neuman and Paltowitz have really stepped up”, Halperin said. The Red is ranked 5th in the region this year, and the top players will be heading to Harvard over fall break for the ECAC tournament.

The team is looking for redemption after a relatively disappointing showing last weekend, with many of its top stars falling in the early rounds. “Last weekend was unsuccessful, but we had a good week of practice and everyone is very excited,” junior tri-captain Stephan Paulovic said.

The Red will be facing only three other teams at the Yale Invitational this weekend, but two of them are Ivy rivals Yale and Dartmouth, as well as the University of Connecticut.

Archived article by Josh Vlasto