Volleyball Wins in New York

After losing its last non-conference match of the season, the Big Red volleyball team got off to a fast start in the Ivy League with a 3-2 win over Columbia in the Ivy League opener for both schools. Cornell, which held a 2-0 lead at one point after winning the first two games 15-7 and 15-5, withstood a late charge by the Lions, who took both games three and four by the score of 16-14 to tie the match at two apiece. Cornell then regrouped and won the ultimate game 15-11, using rally scoring. With its first Ivy victory, Cornell improved to 8-4 on the year (1-0 Ivy), while Columbia fell to 12-4 overall (0-1 Ivy).

Cornell, which hit .173 for the match, was lead by freshman outside hitter Debbie Quibble, who had 23 kills, and senior middle blocker Robin Moore, who had 14 kills and 10 digs to go with four solo blocks and four assists in the match.

The Cornell team came out strong and excited despite the hostile crowd to jump out to the early lead.

“This was the most exciting game to play in ever” gushed junior Jennifer Borncamp, who added 13 kills and a team-high 20 digs to the effort. “Columbia was the team we really wanted to beat, because they beat us last year.”

If that pattern continues, then the Red should be in for a stellar year, as this year’s team appears much improved from last year’s squad which beat only Dartmouth in Ivy League competition.

The Lions were lead by Kathy Lavold with 19 kills, and Katie Beauregard with 18 kills and a match-high 24 digs.

In total, Cornell managed 63 kills, 79 digs, and a season-high 19 blocks, as opposed to Columbia’s 64 kills, 75 digs, and nine team blocks.

The win was a pick-me-up for Cornell, which had lost the previous day to Saint Peter’s College (3-12) in a non-conference match. This contest, which was almost a mirror image of the game that would occur the next night, featured Cornell coming back after losing the first two games 15-5 and 15-10 to tie the match at two games apiece with 15-4 and 17-15 victories. Cornell then rallied from an 8-4 deficit in the final game to tie the game at 13 all, before falling 15-13.

In defeat, Big Red was lead again by Debbie Quibell with 22 kills, and Robin Moore with 21 kills, as well as Rachel Rice who had 56 assists.

Big Red hopes to carry its momentum from New York City up through New England this upcoming weekend, where it will play Brown Friday evening, followed by a match with the Crimson of Harvard the next afternoon.

Archived article by Eric Beaton