Artzt Leads Red at Yale Invitational

Cornell men’s tennis captain Greg Artzt proved that he is once again ready to make a run at a personal Ivy title.

The senior flew through the ‘A’ bracket of the Yale Invitational, cruising to the individual title with little trouble, and got a chance at a little revenge as well.

The senior began the weekend by dispatching Mike Furman of Connecticut, 6-0, 6-2.

Artzt then showed little trouble in dispatching Dartmouth’s Neil Bobba.

In the finals, Artzt got his revenge.

After falling to Yale’s David Goldman last week in front of a home crowd at the Cornell Fall Invitational, the senior returned the favor, defeating Yale’s top player in front of his home crowd.

Last week, the impressive freshman defeated Artzt 6-4, 7-5. This week, Artzt clearly dominated his opponent, defeating Goldman 6-2, 6-0.

A number of other team members saw success this weekend as well.

‘D’ Flight Win

Freshman Julien Chang defeated junior teammate Pat Hagan to win the ‘D’ flight of the singles tournament. The young Chang got by Hagan, 6-2, 6-1.

Doubles Victory

Juniors Stefan Paulovic and Carl Thornsen joined forces to win the ‘B’ flight of doubles. The pair faced Connecticut’s Joe Lang and Grim Shura in the semifinals and won a close 8-6 match.

The duo then went on to take out Dartmouth’s Bobba and Jessie Paer in the finals, 9-8.

The men’s tennis team will next travel to Harvard for the ECAC Championships in action over the fall break holiday.

Archived article by Charles Persons