DelPretes Lead W. Tennis at Brown Invitational

The women’s tennis team had an impressive showing this weekend at the Brown Invitational in Providence, R.I.

Freshman Laura Tallent led Cornell in the singles bracket, as she made it to the championship match of the ‘D’ flight. She defeated a Seton Hall player in the opening round (6-2, 6-1), before topping sophomore teammate Alex DelPrete who was forced to retire from the match. Tallent then defeated the competition for Pennsylvania in three sets, before falling to another Quaker in the final (6-2, 6-2).

The flight ‘B’ doubles matches were dominated by the DelPrete twins, as Alex and Daniela edged a pair from Seton Hall (8-6) and crushed the duo from Penn, 8-2. The sister fell to the Boston College team in a 8-5 match.

Daniela was also a factor on the singles side, as she made it to the quarterfinals in the Consolation bracket of the ‘A’ flight.

Senior Ngozi Amobi also made it to the quarterfinals in the Consolation bracket of the ‘B’ flight.

Alex DelPrete was another standout in the singles’ bracket, as she made it into the semifinals of the consolation side of the ‘D’ flight.

Camila Romula fell just short of third place in the ‘B’ flight singles, and Kate Sternberg lost in the consolation bracket Semifinal in a three-set match.

Jennifer Boyer and Nicole Chiu also traveled with the team.

The women will next be in action this weekend at the ECAC Championships at Princeton and Rutgers.

Archived article by J.V. Anderton