Students Move Out of Lounges

As Cornell students living in temporary housing move to permanent housing, the High Rise lounges have finally returned to their original use as common rooms.

Of the 77 students currently living in temporary housing, 57 have opted to stay where they are, in rooms that have been fitted with extra beds. All students have now been moved out of the lounges.

The remaining students who wish to leave their temporary doubles and triples will be relocated in the next few weeks, according to Patrick Savolskis, manager of housing and dining for Campus Life.

Zhong Wei Yeo ’04, who was living out of his suitcase in a High Rise lounge, is very happy with his relocation to a double on West Campus. “I have my own space, desks, and drawers. Also, everything [including cable lines and phone lines] is set up already.”

To compensate for the housing burden imposed on these students, the temporary triples will cost 33 percent less than the standard rate of the physical double room which was transformed. The double originally cost $4,818 per person for the year.

Those living in temporary doubles cost $1,000 less than the average rate for a double room while the lounges cost a prorated $4,309 per student per year.

“The discount was made primarily for the inconvenience of those students living in the temporary housing,” said Don King, director of community development for Campus Life.

Once students leave temporary rooms, however, they will charged the standard rate for their new rooms for the rest of the academic year.

“Some parents complained about the [University’s] policy. However, the contract that each parent signed stated that no refunds would be given for temporary housing placements and that, [instead] discounted rates would be offered,” Savolskis said.

Despite the complaints, King found that most parents have been patient and understanding of the housing situation.

“My parents were just hoping that I got a room quickly,” Yeo said.

In addition to the inconvenience posed for those students placed in the temporary housing facilities, King also noted that other students were also burdened by not having access to the lounges.

Savolskis stated that next year, Campus Life will face different obstacles when all the freshman are living on North Campus. These challenges include dealing with the new dynamics of the buildings and possible overcrowding again. “There will be two more dorms and more beds, but we never know what problems to expect,” Savolskis said.

Archived article by Jamie Yonks