W. Tennis Heads to ECACs

Following last week’s strong showing at the Brown Invitational, the Cornell women’s tennis team travels down to New Jersey this weekend to compete in the fall season’s culminating event, the ECAC Invitational Tournament.

The tourney features a 16-team format with both seeded and unseeded teams. Defending champion Princeton is the number-one seed, with the University of Virginia, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Boston University, James Madison, Temple, and Yale rounding out the top eight seeds. The Cornell Big Red, along with Army, Brown, Columbia, Georgetown, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and West Virginia, enters the tournament unseeded. Although the event is sure to feature some tough matches, Cornell shouldn’t encounter any surprises, as the squad has faced more than half the competition – including high seeds Princeton, Penn, and Boston University – at some point this season.

Top prospects for Cornell include sophomore twin sisters Alex and Daniela DelPrete, classmate Piper Lucas, and junior Camila Romulo, all of whom compete as top seeds both at singles and at doubles for the Red. Alex was a singles semifinalist in her bracket at the Brown Invitational last week, as was Romulo. The DelPrete sisters also reached the finals of the “B” Flight Doubles Bracket, while Romulo and teammate sophomore Nicole Chiu fell in the “C” Flight Consolation Semifinal.

This weekend’s tournament kicks off today with first- and second-round matches and backdraw, continues tomorrow with the semifinal round and more backdraw, and will conclude on Sunday with championship play. Much is at stake for the teams competing, as the tournament’s victor will earn an automatic bid to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in February.

After this weekend’s event, but one fall tournament remains for the women’s tennis team: The ITA Individual Regionals at William and Mary, which will take place November 4-7. The Red hopes to head into that tournament in the wake of success at this weekend’s competition.

Archived article by Sun Staff