Army Defeats W. Soccer, 3-1

Army freshman midfielder Donielle Taylor outshone the young strikers of the Cornell women’s soccer team (2-11, 1-3 Ivy), as it was the Black Knights (7-9) who broke out of its three-game losing funk.

The Red, now losers of its last three contests, was sent home from West Point following a 3-1 loss last night.

Taylor carried the ball and streaked down the right side before sending a crossing pass to forward Lauren Rowe, who then poked it into the right corner of the net at 22:15. The opening score upped Rowe’s goal tally to four for the season.

The Cornell defense kept the game close at 1-0 into the intermission, but it would be the opening minutes of the second half that would decide the game. The Red dug itself into a 3-0 hole in ten minutes of the second half before answering with its lone goal of the night.

Army’s first goal of the half was again sponsored by Taylor, who took a pass from defenseman Diana Russell and rocketed in a shot into the upper-right corner of the net in what would be the eventual game-winner at 50:15. Forward Adrian Walker then capped off the scoring spree with a goal similar to Taylor’s at 59:15.

Freshman forward Alicia Doolittle, however, remained a bright spot for the Red as she answered in the 62nd minute with an unassisted goal. Doolittle has now scored all five of her goals in the last five games. She has 11 points on the year on those five goals and an assist.

Although the Red outshot the Black Knights 19 to 18, it was able to convert only one. Army freshman Sara Johnson recorded the win by making six saves, while Cornell senior goalies Meghan Cauzillo and Martha Shaughnessy split time for the Red.

Cornell finishes its four non-conference game tour at 1-3, and visits Brown this Saturday to resume Ivy play.

Archived article by Simon Chan