F. Hockey Plays Host to Leopards

The Cornell field hockey team (6-5, 3-1 Ivy) will square off tonight at six p.m. against Patriot League member, Lafayette College. The Red is undefeated against Lafayette at home, but lost last year’s match-up while on the road, 3-1. In the past, the Red was able to use the turf in Schoellkopf to its advantage because Lafayette played on a grass field. However with the addition of a new turf field, the Leopards will be better adjusted and will prove to be a formidable opponent under the lights.

“We used to take advantage of their grass skills on the turf but now they will be fine. They will be a lot stronger than we have ever seen,” commented head coach Michelle Tambroni of Lafayette’s play.

Lafayette enters the game after an exciting 2-1 win over Colgate a week ago. The victory brought the Leopard’s record to 6-7 overall. Lafayette is also touting last week’s Patriot league offensive player of the week, freshman Meredith Hahn. Hahn scored the game-winning goal against Colgate with just six minutes remaining in overtime play.

The Red should match up well with the Leopards. The leopards are a fast team, “speed has never been Lafayette’s problem. They are very physical, very big and strong,” commented Tambroni.

However, the solid defense of the Red should be able to shut down any of Lafayette’s advances. With the Leopards’ strength coming in the midfield and in their goalie, the Red will look to contain their middle line and look for accurate shots.

Offensively the Red is trying a new lineup with the addition of sophomore Annie O’Rourke. O’Rourke has been playing very well and will look to add more depth to the offense.

However, the Red will have to defeat the Leopards without the help of Sarah Rosenbaum who had to leave the team for the duration of the season due to personal reasons.

“We are going to try and rally without Rosie, and win for her. We miss her already,” acknowledged Tambroni.

At home after a three game road trip, the Red is looking for its seventh win of the season. After tonight’s match the Red will take to the field again at Brown on Saturday.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss