Men's Soccer to Play Bears

The ten day mini-vacation the men’s soccer team had allowed its players to nurse nagging injuries. The Red (5-5, 2-1 Ivy) hopes that its physical health as well as its emotional well-being will recover after its 3-0 loss last Thursday at the hands of the Penn State Nittany Lions. The club travels to Providence this weekend to play Brown in an Ivy League showdown.

“We did not compete against Penn State,” head coach Bryan Scales said. “We played like we were mentally and physically spent.”

The Red needs all of its assets to defeat the first-place Brown team (7-4-1, 3-0 Ivy). That includes a defense that is bogged down by injuries. Junior David Barritt-Flatt has a stress fracture in his tibia, sophomore Liam Hobin has a broken nose, while seniors Adam Brown and Nick Haigh both nurse strained ligaments in their ankle.

“They guys need like two months to fully recover,” Scales said. “But, obviously that is not the case in the middle of the soccer season.”

The defensive players appreciated the time off, nevertheless, and should be ready to compete on Sunday.

One player who has not been hampered by injuries this season is the scoring sensation, senior Adam Skumawitz. Although he was stifled by the Nittany Lions’ defense last Thursday, Skumawitz has been on a tear this season and has worked his way onto the scoring leaderboard in the Ivy League. He will need to rebound from his scoreless game against PSU and tally a goal or two for the Red to be successful against Brown.

The team was given the weekend off after its loss to PSU to heal all wounds. The layover was time well spent for a worn Red team. The Red looks forward to head back onto the soccer field and defeat an Ivy powerhouse.

Archived article by Jason Skolnik