Cagers Play Red-White

Out with the old in with the new.

The sidelines of Newman Arena are now patrolled by men’s basketball head coach Steve Donahue.

And Saturday afternoon the action began as the squad split itself in the annual Red-White game.

The half-hour long contest followed the gridders’ victory over Princeton.

Donahue was pleased with intensity of the cager’s efforts in pre-season practices and that ethic was evident in the contest.

If Saturday’s showing was any indication of what is to come, Cornell fans may soon start believing the optimistic rhetoric of Donahue.

The team that took the court during the scrimmage was one which showed a much more patient style. This was a club with a backcourt that distributed the ball better, a front line that collapsed to the boards with more intensity and an overall markedly better shot selection.

The leadership of seniors Greg Barratt, Kevin Cuttica and Ray Mercedes has caught the eyes of Donahue — eyes that reflect a glimmering Ivy trophy. The ambition of the coach paired with this trio may just be the fuel the Red needs to climb to the top of the Ancient Eight standings.

The rookie class features the highly touted Ka’Ron Barnes and Garn Smith. Both are expected to make immediate contributions. Barnes adds depth to a back court that features talented junior point-guard Wallace Prather.

Donahue’s reign officially begins when the Red play host to Lafayette in a contests slated for November 18th at 8 p.m.

Archived article by Gary Schueller