Riders Win Again

The Cornell women’s polo team is like a tornado. Everywhere it travels it leaves destruction in its path.

Its latest victim, Skidmore, found itself completely devoured by the lady riders. The Red returned to Ithaca one step closer to a national title, following a 27-4 dismantling of Skidmore Friday night.

Head coach David Eldredge ’81 expected his club to be dominant. The hosts are a young, inexperienced squad who the Red has owned in recent years.

Despite playing in an arena with a significantly smaller and deeper playing area, the team had no problems adapting.

Freshman Marissa Bianchi turned in yet another outstanding performance, pacing Cornell with seven goals.

For the highly-touted local product, the game was important because it witnessed increased team cohesion.

“We improved ball placement and teamwork and were communicating better,” she said

Traveling without Eldredge, the club rotated four varsity members. Bianchi was joined by sophomore Taylor McLean, senior Alie Torrey, and junior Liz Antzcak.

Antzcak continued her break-out season leading all scorers with nine lamp-lighters.

The squad was slated to face Yale, along with the men’s team, but those contests were postponed.

Next weekend, the men’s squad will get its biggest test of the season when it travels to nationally-ranked stud Virginia.

The women will be at home Saturday night to face Skidmore once again.

Archived article by Gary Schueller