Women's Hoops Travels to Army Invite

Ready for battle. Ready, willing, and this season: able.

The women’s basketball team is set to embark on its 2000-2001 year. Healthy, rehabilitated, and excited the Big Red open up its regular season this weekend.

After defeating the tall, menacing Team Shellen of Russia in an exhibition game two weeks ago, the team is heading to Army. It is playing in the fourth annual Tip-Off Tournament on Friday and Saturday evenings.

The Red displayed its abilities in its 74-67 overtime victory over the Russians. Junior Guards Breean Walas and Do Stevens showed they both have recovered from their respective knee and ankle injuries. Walas’ overtime domination confirmed that after ACL surgery in May, she is back in full form.

The Red is pumped up to play some ball. It plays Loyola of Chicago on Friday night. Coming off a 3-12 season, Loyola has already dropped its first two exhibition games, to the Chicago Challengers and the TTT Rigas.

Prior to Cornell taking on the court, the Black Knights of Army will play the Panthers of High Point (North Carolina). The championship game follows the consolation game on Saturday night.

Army won its exhibition game against Nor’Easter two weeks ago. Army’s 9-19 record last year disappointed the team. High Point also won, defeating Asheville. The Panther’s finished a rough 6-11 in the Millenium season.

The women are more focused on the Ivy games this season, however. “Last year we really excited about our strong start, but then we didn’t play well against Ivy teams, which is what really matters,” sophomore Lynell Davis noted.

“We need to play hard all season, but our eyes are set on the Ivy rings this year,” Stevens commented.

The Red has lots of depth year, and the non-conference games should help the team work on combinations on the floor. “We need to play more, and figure out what people gel together on the court,” Stevens added.

The freshmen also look to put in high minutes. Tanya Karcic and Karen Force both played to and beyond the expectations of the coaches. “We were very impressed by Tanya [Karcic]. She played very physically. [Karen] Force has made a smooth transition to college-level basketball,” commented head coach Marnie Dacko.

Hopefully for the team, the women will return victorious on Sunday, and arrive at a still-celebrating Cornell campus after the football game. The Red knows it can, now it just has go out and win, and as planned, start a trend for the season.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko