M. Swimmers Destroy Binghamton at Home

The Cornell men’s swimming team hosted Binghamton last night in the Teagle Hall Pool. And it was not a close match.

The Red won eight of the 13 events en route to defeating Binghamton, 107-90.

“The score was a lot closer than the meet was,” head coach Joe Lucia said.

Underclassmen paced the team, with freshman Rob Payne winning the 400-yard freestyle by almost four seconds, finishing in 4:14.43. Classmate Jay Thielker also turned in a stellar performance, winning the 200-yard freestyle with a 1:45.92.

“Sophomore Julian King won his first collegiate event,” Lucia added, in reference to the winner of the 50-yard freestyle.

But the upperclassmen were solid as well for the Red, as senior tri-captain Matt Harting won the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 48.74 seconds. Another tri-captain, junior Ryan Buckham, won the 200-yard backstroke at 1:58.45.

“It was a good meet for us, I was pleased with how the guys came out and competed,” Lucia said.

The Red also won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:40.19.

The meet was also one of the shortest in this history of school history, taking only 57 minutes. This was in part due to the fact that one of Binghamton’s divers was unable compete thanks to a broken eardrum, so the diving portion of the event was canceled.

The Red is now done competing for the semester, but will swim throughout the exam period and take a group trip to Florida to practice from December 28 to January 10.

Said Lucia, “We get the team back together down there and it is a real good training trip for us.”

Archived article by J.V. Anderton