W. Hockey Defeats B.C., Falls to Dartmouth

The Cornell women’s ice hockey team (3-5-0, 2-5-0 ECAC) split games on the road this holiday weekend. Traveling to number-one ranked Dartmouth (8-0, 8-0 ECAC) the Red was crushed 9-3 in the first game of the weekend. Despite the loss, the team was able to turn around and defeat Boston College (2-8-0, 1-8-0 ECAC) yesterday. This improved the Red’s all time record against the Eagles to 32-0-1.

In Hanover, N.H., the second period once again proved to be the Red’s nemesis as the Green scored seven goals during the period en route to a 9-3 victory.

Dartmouth was led by Jennifer Wiehn who beat Cornell goalkeeper sophomore Sanya Sandahl 18:20 into the first period.

Wiehn then went on to net two more goals, her third being the game-winner at 10:18 in the second.

Freshman Briana Jenter scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season at 19:36 of the second to put the Red on the board. The assists were rewarded to juniors Erinn Perushek and Dianna Bell.

Senior co-captain Patricia Kemp recorded the second Red goal at 10:27 left in the third. This was her first goal of the season. Senior Erica Olson and sophomore Erinn Ellis were rewarded with their first assists of the season.

Sandahl made 22 saves in the first period and totaled 36 in just over 50 minutes of play, a career high. Connelly made five saves in 9:25 minutes.

Yesterday Cornell defeated BC 6-0, the highest scoring output of the season. This victory ends a four-game losing streak.

Freshman Anita Khar opened up the game scoring just 6:04 in the first period. Assists were awarded to Kemp and freshman Allyson Simpson.

Building on its momentum, sophomore Brooke Bestwick found the net next. This was her first her first goal of the season at 16:05. Just 50 seconds later Simpson scored her first collegiate goal.

After a scoreless second period, the Red added three more from Ellis, Perushek and Jetner to round out the scoring.

Connelly made 32 saves and earned her second career shutout. She is currently sixth on the career saves list. She only needs 17 more to pass Sandy Glibert ’86 for the fifth slot.

After an exhaustive road trip, the Red will return to Lynah for Alumni Weekend and Ivy play. On Saturday Cornell will host Harvard and then Brown on Sunday. Both games will begin at 2 p.m.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss