Steps to Success

One night only! For five years running, Fall Step has been a staple on campus and a highlight of the fall semester.

The dance show, which will be performed Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. in Statler Auditorium, is an exhibition of some of the best troupes Cornell has to offer, performing a wide array of dance styles including tap, jazz, hip-hop, and ballroom.

Samantha Rifkin ’02 and Hally Schreiber ’02 are co-presidents of the modern jazz group Shadows, which is one of the groups partaking in the ensemble. Though the 18- member group has its own solo show in the spring, it is enthusiastic to be performing at Fall Step alongside coeval Cornell dance groups.

“It’s a great opportunity to see the big numbers,” said Rifkin. “To see groups working out routines of 15 or more dancers on stage and moving in unison is definitely a highlight of the show.” Schreiber added, “The diversity of the show is great. There are so many different styles of dance on display, making for an exciting performance.”

Consisting of multifarious, large-scale group exhibitions, Fall Step also has a philanthropic element, as all proceeds go to OnSite Volunteer Services. This affiliation was coordinated by Cherie Carter ’01, the volunteer services organizer of OnSite. The organization works to improve the quality of life at Cornell and in the surrounding Ithaca community.

After long hours of rigorous practice and year-round sacrifice and dedication, other groups such as Base Productions, Council Ballroom, Prolific Soul, Impact, On Tap, and Sitara are ready to bring their unique styles of dance to the Statler stage.

For exposure to an alternative artistic medium, Fall Step provides an opportunity to view a diverse selection of dance styles promising “big numbers” and high energy.

Archived article by L. Weiss