Take a Breather

In case you’ve somehow managed to miss an Arch Sing, the various concerts, or an event where a group of Cornellians are gathered and singing without instrumental accompaniment, here’s some news for you: a cappella is big here at Cornell.

Last Call, an all-male (and arguably the best-dressed) a cappella group has been hard at work for the past few weeks in the bottom-floor rehearsal rooms of Lincoln Hall.

And the reason for the six- hour-a-day practice schedule? The men of Last Call are currently gearing up for their annual fall concert that, this year, boasts the title, “Save the Clocktower.”

In the midst of this last week of classes here on the Hill, the 17 members of Last Call have been juggling courses and rehearsals in the hope that they can live up to their reputation for putting on quality shows.

But hard work doesn’t seem to be anything new to the group. Newcomer Gregory Levow ’04 commented, “This week is horrible … this is by far the worst week so far.”

Similarly, Jonny Wu ’01, stated that prior to a big concert, “… you pretty much expect to be with the group 24/7.” In fact, Last Call has been working on new material since the start of the semester and hopes to surprise the audience with their fresh line-up.

Though Last Call remains tight-lipped about the details of the show, Musical Director Anthony Cuccia ’01 stated, “We’ll be doing 12 songs and debuting a lot of really different, more musically challenging pieces.”

In addition, Last Call has included their characteristic comedic skits and has even made room for a special guest a cappella group, “Something Extra,” from Yale University. This all-female group from our fellow Ivy is slated to perform five songs.

Of Last Call’s legacy of humorous performances Cuccia said, “What makes us stand out is the fact that we’re a group of performers who not only love performing, but we have a good time with one another.”

Cuccia’s sentiment is certainly obvious when Last Call performs. “We’re really close,” remarked Jed Farlow ’01. “We have a great time together on stage.”

“We put on a great show,” said Eduardo Porto Carreiro ’02. “A great mix of music, comedy, and overall performance.”

Get your tickets while they are still available, this could be your last call.

Archived article by Nate Brown