Swimmers Showing Signs of Progress

While the majority of the student body was home relaxing, the Cornell men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were training hard for the upcoming winter season. Both the men and women had swim meets during the break; the men swam in a double-duel meet against Navy and Yale in New Haven, Conn., on January 13, and the women swam against Yale on January 14 on East Hill, after attending the Penn State Invitational.

The women went into the break riding a second place performance at the Nittany Lion Invitational. Penn State won the meet by over 400 points. The Red held its own over the other participants: Maryland-Baltimore Country and St. Bonaventure.

Meanwhile at Yale, despite a record setting performance from freshman Jamie Mayjek, the Red women fell to the Elis 175-118. Mayjek, who placed second in the 200-yard butterfly, finished the race with a time of 2:09.07, putting her fifth on the Red’s all-time list in that event. She also led the Red in the 500-yard freestyle (5.13.68) and placed second in the 200-yard individual medley (2:13.95).

Other top scorers for the Red were juniors Kari Tornabene, Shayne Geneva, and Whitney Yates. Tornabene took second place in the 100-yard backstroke, finishing in 1:01.07, while placing third in the individual medley. She also was a member of the 200-yard medley relay team, which finished second in 1:52.50. Geneva was second on the 100-yard breaststroke, while Yates finished second in the 200-yard backstroke and fifth in the 1,000-yard freestyle.

Before returning to action, the men took an eleven-day winter training trip to Key West, Fla. However, they also lost their only meet over the break, falling to Navy and Yale, 138-88 and 151-72, respectively.

Top performances turned in for the Red were from senior Will Norgard, junior Eric Gonzales, sophomore Forrest Kennedy, and senior diver Jon Cebulski.

Norgard finished second in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 21.48. He was also a member of the second place 400-yard freestyle relay team. Gonzales placed third in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing in 4:45.82, while Kennedy finished second in the 200-yard butterfly in 1:54.93. In addition, Cebulski took fourth in the 3-meter, and fifth in the 1-meter dives.

In other action, the men fell to Army last weekend 132.5-108.5 and the women defeated both Binghamton and Siena, 103-29 and 84-50. Heading into this weekend, the men have an overall record of 1-5, 0-5 in the EISL, and the women are 3-4, 1-4 in the Ivy’s.

Both the men and the women travel to Colgate on Saturday. Action begins at noon.

Archived article by Josh Vlasto