Grapplers Narrowly Edge Out Penn

Corey Anderson stood behind the Cornell bench, his son Byron on his shoulders, tugging and smacking the senior tri-captain’s head just as Penn’s Nick Thomas had done earlier in the evening. Anderson won a major decision over Thomas at 197 pounds in the meet’s first match, and the four points from that major decision comprised the Red’s lead going into the final match.

Anderson was watching the final match of the evening intensely. The Quakers and Red split the eight matches between the first and last contests, and the outcome of the first Ivy meet of the year depended on sophomore Randy Stout’s match against Marcus Schontube.

Schontube held off Stout to win the 184 pound match, but thanks to the extra point Anderson earned for Cornell with the major decision, the Red defeated the defending Ivy champs despite both teams winning five matches.

Cornell dropped the two matches after Anderson’s win, but senior Sean Doyle scored a win over Jeff Eveleth at 133

pounds. Then sophomore Tom Waldron (141 pounds) took Penn’s Doug McGraw to a tiebreaker with the score knotted at one. Waldron scored back points on McGraw before McGraw could escape, earning a thrilling win and putting the Red ahead by a 10-6 score.

Penn battled back, winning the next two matches, including the 157 pound match between senior tri-captain Leo Urbinelli, ranked 11th in the country, and the Quakers’ Yoshi Nakamura, the third-ranked grappler. Nakamura’s decision gave Penn a 12-10 lead.

Junior tri-captain Clint Wattenberg put Cornell ahead once again with a narrow win over Tim Ortman. Wattenberg’s third period escape and riding time advantage gave him a 2-1 win and Cornell a 13-12 lead. The Red would not relinquish the lead this time as senior Jim Stanec extended the lead back to four with a decisive win over Josh Henson.

Schontube’s win in the final match garnered three points for the Quakers, finalizing the score at 16-15, with the Red on top.

Cornell will wrestle next on the road, when it takes on Columbia and Hofstra on February 4.

Archived article by Alex Fineman