S.A. Offers Shadows Program

Approaching its second run later this month, the Shadows program returns to the Cornell community, offering a view of the University from another person’s perspective.

The program, sponsored by the Student Assembly (S.A.), pairs students with members of the faculty or staff for a minimum of four hours over the course of two weeks in order to facilitate learning about the everyday jobs that go into the workings of the University. Students shadow faculty and staff, and vice versa.

“The reality is that we are a community and need to understand our own condition,” said Michael Bronstein ’02, S.A. vice president for public relations. “Shadows is meant to create an understanding of different people’s jobs on campus.”

“We are all in the same physical spot but different worlds with our experiences,” said Sarah L. Johnson, coordinator of technical services and member of the Shadows Steering Committee.

Last year, the program ran for one trial week. Twenty-seven members of the Cornell faculty, staff and student body participated.

Due to its original success, the program was extended to two weeks. It will run from Feb. 19 to March 2. A brief information session on Feb. 8 will explain guidelines and reveal matches to participants.

“The goal is to have an experience you wouldn’t normally have,” said Hope Mandeville, director of the Office of the Assemblies. “It opens up Cornell, broadens people’s experiences and increases diversity.”

Stephanie Potisek ’03, a participant in last year’s program, agreed.

“I enjoyed seeing a part of Cornell I didn’t really know existed,” she said. “I am interested in research but didn’t know what the labs were like, and that’s what [my partner] showed me.”

“I personally had a lot of fun,” said Johnson, Potisek’s partner. “It has been a long time since I have been in a classroom and I got to see the stresses of being a student.”

“They have hectic schedules,” she added.

According to Michael Moschella ’02, filing an application will not add stress to an already busy schedule.

“The application only takes a few minutes and the experience is rewarding,” he said. “It is a very worthwhile program.”

Applications are due today to the Office of the Assemblies in 165 Day Hall (the office will grant a brief grace period), and copies can be found online at www.assembly.cornell.edu.

Archived article by Rachel Einschlag