W. Hoops Travels to New England

We all know the Christmas holiday is over, but some just cannot get enough. The women’s basketball team is heading out of town this weekend searching for some festive action, but they are heading more to the East than to the North. The squad is looking to get back into the seasonal cheer by taking on the Harvard Crimson and The Big Green of Dartmouth. If things get rough on the court, all the colors will make the team look like a post-Christmas event gone wrong.

The fightin’ Big Red is precariously perched at a 2-2 Ivy record, so these two games are going to have a big impact on their season. They have compiled a healthy 9-8 mark on the season, and hope to emerge in the black after this weekend.

Coming off a good week in practice, the Red want to get over last week’s 56-48 loss to Columbia. The team had hoped to win and hit a 3-1 Ivy record for the first time since the 1996-97 season.

With only ten games to go, the team needs to focus and play offensively the whole game. The leaders in the bucket have been junior Do Stevens and sophomore Katie Romey. Stevens has averaged a team high 11.4 ppg, and adding 4.2 rebounds each game. Romey’s accuracy has topped the charts, with her shooting .474 from the field, an amazing .444 from beyond the arch, and a solid .800 from the charity stripe. She is just behind her teammate, with 11.2 ppg.

Sophomore Lynell Davis leads the squad on the boards, pulling down 5.2 per game. The surprise on the year has been the strong play of freshman Tanya Karcic. She was made Ivy League Rookie of the Week, for her help in the win’s over Albany and Columbia two weeks ago. Classmate Lauren Kildruff played tough last week, hitting the basket for eight points and grabbing five rebounds.

Cornell tackles Harvard today at 6:00pm in Cambridge, Mass. The Crimson are 5-11, with a 2-1 Ivy mark. The Red moves into New Hampshire to take on the Big Green on tomorrow night at 7:00pm. Dartmouth also enters the weekend with a 5-11 mark, but plays host to Columbia on Friday night.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko