W. Hockey Splits St. Cloud Series

Keeping with a pre-season goal, the Cornell women’s ice hockey team (8-12-1, 5-10-1 ECAC) defeated St. Cloud (13-11-2, 8-6-2 conference) in the re-match of a two-game series this weekend in Minnesota 5-4. The Huskies defeated the Red on Friday 5-4 in overtime.

Head coach Carol Mullins praised her team for coming back to win the rematch.

“In the first game we had our chances to win, we just didn’t play consistently. [But] we came back the next night, playing more of a game management. If they went up, we got it right back, if we went up, they don’t get it back. [We] kept ourselves in control of the game.”

In the first of the two game matchup, St. Cloud freshman sensation Ricki-Lee Doyle opened all scoring at 12:39 in the first to get the Huskies off to a quick start. Roxanne Stang increased the Huskie lead in the second period to bring the score to 2-0.

Battling to get a point on the board, sophomore defenseman Brooke Bestwick beat Huskie goalkeeper Laura Giselman to bring the score within one. Red assists were awarded to junior Sarah Olivier and sophomore Lindsay Murao.

After a third Huskie goal, the Red was able to battle back and tie the score at 3-3 to finish the second period. Cornell goals came from senior co-captain Danielle Bilodeau and Olivier.

Early into the third, St. Cloud took a 4-3 lead on an unassisted power play goal. The Red, not one to be put down lightly though, once again tied the score off of a shot by senior Erica Olson.

Unable to move the score, the two teams headed into overtime.

A team plagued by penalties, the Red once again sent a man to the penalty box giving the Huskies the player advantage in the extra minutes. Capitalizing on the Red’s mistake, the Huskies scored the wining goal just a 1:36 into the overtime.

Cornell goalkeeper Sanya Sandahl made 29 saves in the loss.

Refusing to be dealt two losses, the Red came into Saturday’s game determined to be the victor.

Bilodeau acknowledged her teammates improvement form the following night.

“We didn’t play very well on Friday, we had a couple of dumb mistakes