NYC Chancellor to Visit

In an effort to improve the lack of qualified teachers in New York City public schools, as well as to offer post-graduate job opportunities to Cornell students, Harold O. Levy ’74, Chancellor of New York City Public Schools, will speak next Tuesday at 5 p.m. in 105 Ives Hall.

The Cornell alumnus and former trustee will visit the campus to recruit students for the fledgling teaching fellows program. This “very prestigious” program is open to graduating seniors of any major, according to Karin Ash Ph.D. ’99, director of Cornell Career Services.

The program consists of a summer training period followed by a teaching position at a city public school during the fall.

Fellows will gain certification to teach in the state of New York, which they can then apply to obtaining a Master’s degree in education.

Ash stressed that undergraduates in all colleges are encouraged to attend Levy’s event to learn more about the program, even if they have not considered a career in education.

The event, which will resemble a corporate recruitment session rather than a typical lecture, “would be an excellent opportunity for those graduating students who are uncertain about the direction of their career but want to have an immediate impact on the lives of these students,” according to Ash.

Levy, who formerly made his career as a corporate lawyer and banking executive, has appeared at Cornell in the past with rave reviews.

“I saw him speak once before and he’s really witty and entertaining,” said Maia Taussig ’03. “It would definitely be worth going.”

Archived article by Hillary Profita