Red Drops Two in ECAC

It was a weekend of missed opportunities for the Cornell women’s ice hockey team, (8-15-1, 6-13-1 ECAC) who lost to University of New Hampshire (15-14-0, 11-9-0 ECAC) and the University of Maine (13-12-1, 8-11-1 ECAC). These two losses dropped the Red down into the eleventh position in the ECAC conference.

With only six games remaining in the season, all conference contests, the Red was hoping to pick up four points this weekend, but ended up losing 4-3 and 2-1. With only eight teams making the playoffs, the Red is going to have a tough time.

On Saturday the Red put itself in a position to play catch-up, and the 3-0 deficit after the first period was just too much to overcome. Although the Red dominated the second period, and controlled the puck for a good portion of the third, the Wildcats once again proved to tough and held on for the win. The Red lost to the Wildcats 8-1 in their previous meeting.

Yesterday would prove to be a telling match for Cornell because Maine was tied for the 10th position in the ECAC. However, in a game marred by costly errors, the Black Bears were able to pull out the 2-1 victory.

After a scoreless first period, Karen Droog put the Black Bears on the board at 5:49 in the second. While the Red was changing lines, Maine goalkeeper Dawn Froats cleared the puck up to her waiting teammates. Cornell goalkeeper Sanya Sandahl was left to defend against the three attacking Maine players.

The Red fought back though, evening the score on a man-disadvantage at 8:18 in the second. Junior Jenel Bode found the net off of her own rebound, but this tie would not hold for long.

Despite dominating for most of the game, it was Meagan Aarts who beat Sandhal for the wining goal at 15:09 in the second.

Sandhal finished the game with 9 saves.

Head coach Carol Mullins praised her team, despite the losses.

“We didn’t have lack of effort, we skated our butts off. For the most part, minus the first period yesterday, I thought we played really well against UNH, but every time we get ourselves in a whole its so tough especially in this league because all of the teams are tough, we have to show up for sixty minutes. But lack of effort wasn’t there, they worked their butts off, and that’s something you hope they do that every game.”

The return of junior Eva Nahorniak could be key for the Red this weekend as it takes to the road to play St. Lawrence two very important ECAC games.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss