Grapplers Seek Part of Ivy Crown

Seven seniors on the wrestling team will bid farewell to the friendly confines of Newman Arena this weekend — and the stage is set for the veterans to do so in fine fashion.

Along with Rider, Princeton comes to East Hill this weekend. A win over the Tigers should assure the grapplers at least a share of the Ivy crown.

The Red hit the mats looking to avenge a bitter defeat to regional foe Buffalo. Cornell’s comeback attempt against the talented hosts was thwarted after senior tri-captain Cory Anderson’s disqualification in his match against Taylor Lehman put the Red in hole. It was a devastating blow for the squad, as the defending EIWA champion was leading 8-4. Cornell eventually fell 21-19, after accruing 19 consecutive points.

But the prospect of an Ancient Eight title and revenge against a gritty Rider club should provide all the incentive the talent-ladden Red needs to right its course.

The action begins tomorrow at Noon with the Tigers. The visitors from New Jersey sport a 2-2 mark in the league, posting victories over Brown and Columbia. Its two defeats came at the hands of studs Pennsylvania and Harvard.

Under the capable tutelage of Mike New ’92, Princeton’s program has witnessed a renaissance.

“They have their best team in eight or nine years,” head coach Rob Koll affirmed.

The visitors boast a balanced team, particularly potent at the 133, 141, 165 and 174-pound weight classes.

Asked who he expected to be particularly strong for the homeside, Koll offered, “We expect the whole team to be top performers.”

Cornell looks to send a powerful message with its showing against the Tigers as the Eastern tournament is just around the corner.

The spirit seems to be optimistic in the Red camp.

“Practices are going really well,” said Anderson. “We’re trying to turn [my] disqualification into a positive.”

The second cap in Saturday’s double-header pits a pesky Rider team against the Red. Cornell fell to the same squad earlier in the season and is anticipating another tough fight with the squad.

“They’re scrappy, tough, hard-nosed kids,” Koll said of the opponent.

Archived article by Gary Schueller