Squashers to Compete in Nationals

Coming off one of its best seasons in years, Cornell is looking forward to its opportunity to play for the national team championship this weekend at Yale.

Having earned an eighth place national ranking, the Red will be competing in the premiere division in the tournament, which includes the top eight teams nationwide. Cornell’s first opponent in its Class A division will be top ranked Trinity. Although the Bantams are heavily favored in the match and the tournament as a whole, the Red squad is optimistic and not counting out an upset on the tournament’s first day.

Goals

More realistically, the team’s ultimate goal for the tournament is to place at least seventh, which would mark Cornell’s best national finish in over a decade. The roadblock for such an effort would most likely come in the form of rival Denison, who currently holds the seventh spot in the nation.

Looking for Revenge

Denison is a team which beat Cornell 5-4 early on in the year, in one of the Red’s most exciting matches. If the squashers run into the club somewhere along the way, it will certainly be a match to watch.

Young Bloods

With Denison in the back of its mind, Cornell also looks at this tournament as a huge opportunity for a very young squad to gain invaluable experience for years to come. The squad boasts a line up comprised almost entirely of first and second year players, making the future a well of expectations.

Formidable Task

The first two rounds should be particularly telling for the Red. With a match against the nation’s top squad as well as either the number four or five team in the tournament, it would be an understatement to say that the men have their work cut out for them. Composure and focus in these two rounds will be key for a relatively untested Cornell team.

Favorites

Trinity, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton stand a top the list of favorites as usual, and the tournament should be one of the most exciting in recent memories. The Red is aiming to add a little of its own excitement to this weekend’s festivities.

The team tournament will be followed by the individual national championships next weekend at Harvard.

Archived article by Sun Staff