Saints Overwhelm Red on Road Twice

It was a disappointing weekend for the Red women’s ice hockey team (9-17-1 overall, 6-15-1 ECAC) as it fell to St. Lawrence (20-6-3,16-4-2) twice, by scores of 5-2 and 8-2.

Saturday’s match started out very well for the Red. The opening period was scoreless for both squads and the second period saw no goals for the majority of play. At 18:13 in the second, the Saints scored an unassisted goal.

In the final period, the Red quickly bounced back, as junior defenseman Dianna Bell found the net for her first goal of the year and the equalizer. Junior forward Sarah Olivier had an assist on the play at 1:59. This was the beginning of a phenomenal weekend for Olivier, who had a hand in every Cornell goal against St. Lawrence.

The Red would score again about eight minutes later as Olivier found the net for an unassisted goal to give Cornell a 2-1 lead, with ten minutes remaining.

After the Red’s second goal, however, the Saints came back with a vengeance. In the last half of the final stanza, a tough St. Lawrence squad went on to score four unanswered goals for the 5-2 victory. Sophomore goalie Sanya Sandahl finished with 34 saves.

Sunday was different, as the Saints came out scoring from the beginning. Also, sophomore goalie Kristin Perry started in the twine for the Red for just the second time this season.

The Saints scored twice in the opening period, with one even-strength goal at 10:18 and a power play goal at 12:49. Going into the middle stanza, the Saints had a 2-0 lead and increased their lead to 4-0 by the 3:26 mark.

At 7:41, Olivier put the Red on the board, finding the net with assists from sophomore forward Lindsay Murao and sophomore defenseman Brooke Bestwick.

In the remaining ten minutes of the second period, the Saints scored three more unanswered goals. With a score of 6-1, Sandahl replaced Perry in the goal and would remain there for the final minutes.

The Saints scored again late in the second period and then jumped out in the third period for their eighth and final goal at 3:14.

Olivier found the net again at 16:08 of the final period, with an assist from Murao, but it was a fruitless effort as the Red fell to the Saints by a score of 8-2.

Olivier had an offensive surge this weekend, finishing with three goals and one assist.

The Red will finish the season at home next weekend against Princeton and Yale.

Archived article by Kelli Larsen