Princeton Clutches Onto Ivy Dominance

Thanks to a few fortune cookies from Hong Kong Chinese Food, the sports editor will try his hand at forecasting the results of this year’s men’s lacrosse Ivy title race. It doesn’t matter how well he does because the cookies tasted good. And that’s all that matters to him.

1. Princeton

HOT: As if winning the Ivy League title the last five years running wasn’t enough for the Tigers, they return 10 of their top 11 scorers as well as their entire defensive crew. Senior B.J. Prager will be a welcome sight for head coach Bill Tierney, considering that Prager missed the final six games of last season after tearing an ACL against Cornell. Prager, who was third-team All-American and first-team All-Ivy last year, is the team’s leading returning scorer. Senior Matt Striebel will likely be on the passing end of several of Prager’s goals, considering he had 27 assists last season. In goal will be Trevor Tierney, who was fourth in the nation in save percentage and goals-against-average.

NOT: If Princeton has a weakness, it’s that the Tigers did lose leading scorer Josh Sims (36 goals, 15 assists) to graduation. And if the rest of the Ivy League schools are really desperate, they can take heart in the fact that Virginia, Johns Hopkins, and Syracuse may rough up Princeton during the first four weeks of the season.

FORTUNE: Your heart is pure, and your mind clear, and soul devout.

ME: Yeah, that settles it. They’re winning the title.

2. Cornell

I couldn’t find any info on Cornell. Maybe you could point out some sort of pullout on the Red.

FORTUNE: Good luck bestows upon you. You will get what your heart desires.

ME: If the stars align themselves right, Cornell may have a shot at beating Princeton at home.

3. Brown

HOT: The Bears hired a new coach over the summer: Scott Nelson. He gets to have Brown’s three leading scorers from last year back. Senior Michael Monfett had 22 goals and 28 assists in 2000 while his attacking partner Jimmy Mormile added 25 goals of his own. Goaltender Beret Dickson —