Red Adds to Stanford's Woes

In this perfect season, the women’s lacrosse team just keeps getting better. It began ranked No. 15, now it is up to No. 13. It’s second win in two years over Stanford, by an even larger margin.

Yesterday the Red (6-0, 2-0 Ivy) improved even more, winning 15-5. The women went 3-0 over Spring Break, including an Ivy win against Penn.

The team showed Stanford the level of competition in the Ivy League, as Cornell easily overtook the Cardinal. The Red also gave the west coast team a reason to thank itself that its members picked to go to school in sunny California. The game began as a fit of flurries descended upon Schoellkopf Field, and a bitter wind picked up.

After having some slow starts in previous games, the Red came out fast and hard, scoring in the first minute. Sophomore Sarah Fischer’s opening goal was followed 30 seconds later with another by junior co-captain Ginny Miles.

Displaying the team’s diversity, the first half had seven different women scoring. Sophomore and freshman attackers Sarah Averson and Michelle Allen, and midfielders junior Lori Wohlschlegal, sophomore Erica Holveck and junior Jaimee Reynolds all registered on the scoreboard. Double scores by Fischer and Miles led the Red to a first half lead of 9-0.

“Junior Sarah Graham did a great job controlling the draw control, which allowed us to get the ball into our offense for more chances at the net,” head coach Jenny Graap ’86 praised.

The starting squad gave Cornell a large enough lead that Graap was able to allow the reserves playing time. She managed to get every member of the team some action.

Wohlschlegal jumped out of the gates in the second half, netting two goals in 16 seconds. She finished the day with a hat trick.

Stanford finally managed a shot in past starting goalie junior Carrie Giancola at the 27:35 mark. Averson resoundingly answered Liz Lanese’s goal with a hard pair of tallies. The sophomore matched fellow teammate Wohlschlegal with a team-high three goals on the day.

Sophomore Amy Sharenko took over goalie duties for Giancola, making two saves in the net. Stanford’s Abbi Hills managed to slip one in past the poles. Freshman standout Allen responded with a rocket shot with 11:27 to go. The Red held onto its 14-2 lead for most of the last quarter.

Freshman Ashley Charron finished the game in the goalie position, registering one save. She was the victim of a final Cardinal attack in the closing four minutes. Stanford’s Katherine Barnes had two successful attempts and teammate Caroline Osterwise pitched in her team’s fifth and last goal.

The home team did not let Stanford close out the game, instead freshman mid-fielder Jaime Quinn capped off the Red resurgence by putting the feed from sophomore Anne Pfeffer in the net, placing Cornell on the board for the last time with 26 seconds to go.

“Junior Katie McCorry continued to shine on defense with a team high four ground balls, one draw and one check. Senior Sarah McGoey led the team with two interceptions while Miles, Fischer, and Quinn each recorded one,” Graap noted on the defense.

“Overall it was a solid effort, and we are very proud of the victory,” Graap finished.

Cornell cannot savor its win long, as the No. 2 Princeton Tigers are visiting town on Saturday. The action starts at 1:00 p.m. on Schoellkopf Field.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko