Lady Lions Come to East Hill; Men Travel to NYC

This is where we separate the pretenders from the contenders.

The men’s and women’s tennis teams have upped the ante, as they both face some more meaningful matches. The matches this weekend will mark a starting point in the season where each point will be magnified much more.

The men’s netters will face Columbia tomorrow. The women will be at home to rally with the Lions today at 2 p.m. and tomorrow they will meet a desperate Army squad at noon. Both of the women’s matches will be at the Reis Tennis Center.

The men will be on the road in New York City, as they face a fairly dangerous Columbia squad.

Columbia is one of the five teams that expect to be in the mix this spring for the Ivy title. The Lions will match up fairly well against the Red with their own arsenal of quality players.

Nonetheless, the Red is coming into this portion of the season with a lot of confidence following a successful set of matches over some tough competition over the spring vacation.

The women dropped a couple of tight matches last week and are aching to show their mettle and resiliency.

Columbia has had some success historically against the Red as in the fall they managed to come away with a 5-2 victory.

This is a different time of year though, and the emphasis on the team concept will only aid the Red as it will feed off of each other in familiar confines.

The Army match figures to be slightly easier if Columbia’s 5-2 victory over Army earlier this season signifies anything.

Both teams are heading into the meat of their schedules and this weekend marks the beginning of what could be an excellent season.

Archived article by Donald Lee