Netters Host Ivy Foes

The men’s netters face the heart of their league schedule this weekend. At the Reis Tennis Center this afternoon at 2 p.m., Brown comes to town, followed by a showdown with Yale at noon tomorrow.

The Red has had a couple of bumps along the road recently, but after a good week of practice it looks to get back on track.

Whether it be getting first serves in, putting simple volleys away, or getting their feet set up properly, the netters have taken care of business this week and come in firing on all cylinders.

“It’s all about going back to the basics,” remarked senior tri-captain Greg Artzt.

Preparation

It is easy for a team to fall apart at the seams, as the amount of court time starts to add up from both the fall and spring.

Luckily enough for the Red, that won’t happen today nor tomorrow, as the spring training trip that it had last month prepared it exactly for this situation. Cornell faced several strong teams over the Spring Break, but more importantly, on top of the travel itself, the team played numerous matches on consecutive days.

The Red need look no further than its own performances over the break for a source of confidence as it played some great matches against some stiff competition.

Artzt noted, “We know that we have what it takes to win. It is just a matter of regaining our confidence and allowing ourselves to play our game.”

No Room for Error

This is neither the time nor the place to have lapses in performance.

With a couple of wins this weekend, the Red will be back in the lead pack of teams gunning for the Ancient Eight title.

Brown and Yale are very comparable teams with good depth through their respective lineups.

This goes without saying, but put all bets aside when it comes to intraleague matches.

Archived article by Donald Lee