W. Tennis Heads North

The lady netters look to rebound from a disappointing weekend which saw them split in the opening round of their Ivy League campaign. The squad travels first to Brown tonight and then tomorrow heads to New Haven, Conn., to square off with the Bulldogs of Yale.

The team looks to avenge a squeaker at the hands of Harvard. Its first opportunity will come against a relatively weak Brown club.

The Bears come off a 7-0 pummeling at the hands of Pennsylvania which dropped them to 0-2 in conference play. Brown’s talent is concentrated in the youth of the team. The duo of sophomore Caroline Casey and freshman Priscilla Zeff at the No. 3 doubles was the sole winners.

Cornell has not been able to manifest its true potential as the squad has been troubled with injuries at the No. 2 and No. 3 singles position.

The Red has been propelled by a younger pair and a veteran senior in Ngozi Amobi. Sophomore Suzanne Wright has picked up where she left off last season and freshman Kate Sternberg has dazzled in her rookie campaign.

Tomorrow evening’s tilt with Yale could be the more difficult of the two. The Bulldogs have been untested in the Ancient Eight but have a strong team that combines experience and talented youth. The team is in the midst of an identity crisis after loosing stud and second-team All-Ivy Jacklyn Fu to graduation last year.

The senior class is a bit thin. Senior Cynthia Obsitnik has the potential to succeed Fu as the team’s leader but has been frustrated by injury. The sole other veteran, Lauren Muehl, is coming off a mediocre season which saw her post a 7-8 mark.

The team’s biggest strength lies in its freshman. The Bulldogs boast six immensely capable rookies. The most touted is Meagan Caldwell who was ranked as high as No. 15 in high school.

Archived article by Gary Schueller