Women Start Campaign on Right Foot With 3-0 Rout of Lafayette

After a disappointing campaign in 2000, women’s soccer was looking for a quick start to this year’s season at Lafayette yesterday.

What it got was two goals in the season’s first six minutes and a solid 3-0 win against a tough Leopards squad.

The Red made a strong statement very early when senior Andrea Madison scored one minute and 40 seconds into the game. Junior Cailin Rice fed her teammate in the box, and Madison finished with a shot to the low left corner from 12 yards out.

The scoring continued and the momentum shifted for good at the 5:43 mark when sophomore Alicia Doolittle took a ball from co-captain Sarah Olsen, beat her defender, and tallied a goal in the right side of the net.

The offensive onslaught endured throughout the contest, as Cornell out-shot the scrambling Leopards, 15-9. Lafayette goalie Marissa Mullins was tested constantly and ended a tough day with seven saves.

The Red also won the battle in front of its own net as the defense held its ground and remained stingy from start to finish.

By keeping Lafayette’s shots on goal to single digits, the Red made it very hard for the hosts to get in the game at any point in either half.

Co-captain Julie DeMichele and senior Ellen Daly led the revamped Cornell defense to its impressive opening game shutout.

Freshmen goalkeeper Katie Thomas also showed much promise, stonewalling the Patriot League opponent’s efforts at getting back in the game. The contest was an important test for the first year netminder and Thomas responded with six big saves on the day.

Caitlin Ramsey added the exclamation point to a propitious first game, scoring the Red’s third goal midway through the second half.

Rice garnered her second assist in the game when Ramsey took a pass off her foot and beat the keeper to the low left corner of an opened net.

The Red now starts what some call a rebuilding year with increased expectations for this young squad and an encouraging 1-0 record.

Cornell says aloha to the humid Ithaca weather and heads southward to the Hawaii Invitational next weekend.

Archived article by Scott Jones